Thursday, June 13, 2013

Let Us Build Up

But if I build up again the very things that I once tore down, then I demonstrate that I am a transgressor. 19For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; 20and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21I do not nullify the grace of God; for if justification comes through the law, then Christ died for nothing.

The above quote comes from Galatians 2 and it is fittingly found in this weeks lectionary.  It is important for us to remember where we came from in order for us to be able to move forward with our future.  But at the same time, we have to be able to let our past go and not let it impede our future.  As we celebrate the 200 year history we see that Huron has done this time and time again.  The humble beginning of meeting in several different school houses led to several divisions by the Presbytery to make it easier for people to commute.  And yet, that didn't stop the churches from growing.  When the church burnt in the 30's it took only one year to the day for the church to be dedicated - what an accomplishment!  Some churches burn and never heal but Huron hasn't let the past get away of moving forward.  Some churches rebuild only to stay stuck in the memories of what the church once was - not Huron.  Time and time again, Huron moves forward. 

God has shown a lot of wisdom to Huron through the years.  When difficult times have come, our Lord has shown us a path way out.  Let us not get stuck in the past and continue to make past mistakes now, but instead raise our heads high and move forward - knowing that Huron lives with the Spirit of Christ.